Friday, September 15, 2017

Before-I-Forgets


I had some 4-3/4 inch strips of peacock themed fabric scraps leftover from the Peacock quilt I now have in the quilting pile.  The scraps kept eyeing me from the pile of clutter on the table next to the sewing machine.      So I finally did something with them...I made them into a 13 x 80 piece.     I had it in the back of my mind that I'd make a Tumbler quilt (aka Peacock Feather quilt) from those odd -sized scraps (odd in that I don't have a 4-3/4 scrap box and didn't want to cut 1/4 inch off to throw them in the 4.5 inch scrap box) so thought I had better get started on it before I forgot what it was I was going to do. 


Ok. So I really have no use for a quilt 13 inches long and 80 wide so out came more fabric.  What a vicious circle.  Any peacock themed fabric after this  quilt top gets made will probably get pieced into a backing for this quilt after I make a few bird blocks. (Better do that before I forget). 

And also before I forget...Audrey of Quilty Folk posted some pics of quilts from the Jim Tharpe collection that were hanging at a quilt show she recently attended.   I fell in love with the quilt in the first picture. I don't know the name of it (do you?) but figured I had better  try to make one up from scraps before I forget I want to make a quilt like that. 



10 comments:

Ann said...

This quilt attracted me, too, but I didn't make a sample. Guess I'll have to remember to look at Audrey's or your blog for the inspiration.
A 13x80 piece. That's just what I'd do. Perhaps it's a table runner? Or four sets of placemats?
Or (in our case) the beginning of a new top.

Melody A. said...

the 13 x 80 cut into 20 inch sections to go around a big block as part of a medallion top. interesting block, printed it off so I could graph it. happy sewing and take care from Iowa

Mystic Quilter said...

I love the colours and the fabrics of these scraps and two good ideas from Ann, I think table mats would be
the way to go for me.

audrey said...

Ah.. Cathy, I love your scrappy block from the Jim Tharpe quilt inspiration! Gorgeous. And obviously those fabrics are tricky ones to make look good, so kudo's to you for the great style it ended up with! Always love coming here to see your fabric play. Your peacock fabric project has me very curious to see how it ends up!

gayle said...

Why am i surprised that you would have a peacock fabric collection? Of course you would have a peacock fabric collection...
I saw that quilt at Audrey's, too, but haven't made a sample yet. Soon... Especially after seeing yours.

Linda said...

Looking forward to seeing how your Peacock collection turns into a quilt. Can't imagine you making placemats or a table runner! Very clever making a block like the ones in the quilt shown on Audrey's blog. Looks complicated. Another "Quilt in the making"?

Kaja said...

I loved those Jim Tharpe quilts too but it didn't occur to me to have a go at a block; I love your sample though, I hope you make a whole quilt of these soon.

Nicky said...

I quite agree - do not forget this beauty! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday we will be picking winners later in the week thanks to Finish-A-Long

abelian said...

According to Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia, where it's number 1911, that block is called Buffalo Ridge by Nancy Cabot, or Grandmother's Fancy in another publication. I love the colors you're using. Dot

abelian said...

P.S. Brackman also shows #1912, where the center strips are narrower, the same width as the little corner squares, like yours, and calls it Buffalo Ridge or Country Roads.